Family Updates (English)
2021.5.27: Weekly Family Update
Student devices for summer programs
MPS is encouraging all students to keep their school devices (Chromebook/iPad) over the summer so they can participate in online summer programs and enrichment opportunities. Devices should be returned to school in September.
Student devices should only be used for summer school and summer enrichment activities.
If your student is NOT returning to MPS next school year, all devices and other technology should be returned on the last day of school. If you need to return your student’s device at any time during the summer, please call the IT Service Desk at 612.668.0088.
Transportation notices for summer programs
If you’ve signed up for a summer program, you should be getting a phone call and/or email with transportation information about a week before your program begins. Transportation questions can be directed to 612.668.2300.
MPS Online School welcomes Principal Jenkins
MPS Online School is pleased to introduce its new principal, Shawntel Jenkins. Ms. Jenkins has been an educator with MPS for more than 25 years and holds a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction from the University of St. Thomas, and principal licensure from Concordia University.
Ms. Jenkins is excited to take online learning in MPS to the next level by focusing on innovation and collaboration. “The COVID-19 pandemic taught us many things about education,” she said. “We learned online learning can be a valuable and successful option where some students and families can thrive. My goal is to make sure we provide the best experience possible for our community through communication, hard work, and a focus on equity.”
Beginning in September 2021, MPS is launching its MPS Online School for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Students can enroll here. Additional information and frequently asked questions are available on the school website.
Graduation dates and times
- Longfellow: Monday, June 7 at 4:30 p.m. at Longfellow
- FAIR: Monday, June 7 at 7:00 p.m. at Cowles Center
- Transition Plus: Tuesday, June 8 at 11:30 a.m. at Convention Center
- Heritage: Tuesday, June 8 at 3:00 p.m. at Convention Center
- Edison: Tuesday, June 8 at 5:00 p.m. Convention Center
- Washburn: Tuesday, June 8 at 8:00 p.m. Convention Center
- Southwest: Wednesday, June 9 at 5:00 p.m. at Mariucci Arena
- South: Wednesday, June 9 at 8:00 p.m. at Mariucci Arena
- Wellstone: Thursday, June 10 at 11:00 at Convention Center
- North: Thursday, June 10 at 2:00 at Convention Center
- Roosevelt: Thursday, June 10 at 5:00 at Convention Center
- Henry: Thursday, June 10 at 8:00 at Convention Center
Updated MPS 2021-22 calendar
Earlier this year, the Board of Education approved a few changes to the 2021-22 school year as outlined here:
- First day of school:
- Sept. 8: First day of school for grades 1-12
- Sept. 10: First day of school for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten
- October MEA dates/no school:
o School WILL BE IN SESSION on October 13, 14 and 15
o There will be NO SCHOOL for students on October 20, 21 and 22
Virtual school tours are a great way to find out more about your new school
If your student is starting a new school in the fall, take the opportunity to go on a virtual tour! Subscribe to the MPS YouTube Channel where families, students and staff can get the latest MPS news, school tours, resources and much more!